Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Situation hits home

On my way home from the Loop after work, we all had to get off the el at the Sedgwick stop and catch another train. As the train hadn’t given any appearance of malfunction (doors refusing to close, stopping between stops for no apparent reason, etc.) my brain got going: I thought, there’s been a bomb threat. Yes. The Chicago Tribune reports that the Purple Line was shut down because of a threat. Now, the Purple Line is the lowest-volume line of the CTA (only 14,000 riders a day), but as it serves people going from Evanston to the Loop, it’s more of a symbol. It wouldn’t cause the severe damage and loss of life that a bomb on the Red Line would, but a lot of people who ride the Purple Line live on Chicago’s North Shore, primarily Evanston and Wilmette. Either a crackpot out there has something against the North Shore (which narrows it down to several thousand people) or a crackpot thought that people who are perceived as wealthy and powerful make a worthwhile target. What scares me (immediate danger having passed) is that what I suspected was correct. Man, I’m not in the boondocks anymore (well, haven’t been for 24+ years).

No comments: