Saturday, October 22, 2005

Lessons in littering

A woman said to her young son, “I don’t want it. I don’t want it. Throw it on the floor.” (“Floor” in this case appeared to be her word for the sidewalk.) He hesitated, looked down, then dropped the empty candy box he’d been holding. The garbage can was about five steps away. At my bus stop, a woman and her children were waiting. She appeared to drop her transit card, so I picked it up and handed it to her. She said it was no good and dropped it again. Trash can was right behind her. Outside my office building is a smoking area. One woman threw her cigarette butt behind her, way into the corner, though she was near the ash receptacle. She looked like one of those people who would put up a sign in the office saying “Clean up after yourselves. I’m not your mother.” Perplexed? I am. I find it utterly bizarre, too, that these three instances featured women. If there was a stereotype, it’s been smashed. Women are always cleaning up after men? Maybe it’s a subtle revolution. Yoiks.

1 comment:

LutheranChik said...

Oh, you have struck a chord here!

One day I was walking down the sidewalk, ahead of a fairly upper-middle-class looking woman and a teenaged lug whom I assumed was her son. The teenaged lug tossed his food wrapper on the ground -- with a perfectly usable city trash container mere feet away. The mom notices this; she says, "Why did you do that? That makes you a litterbug. And then she started laughing. He started laughing. And they kept walking.

Gaaaah!