Saturday, February 03, 2007

Spring in six weeks?

Yesterday being Groundhog Day, I was reminded of my annual puzzlement over this observance. If the groundhog sees its shadow, we’ll have an early spring, and if it doesn’t, it’s six more weeks of winter. Calculate with me here: Six more weeks puts us at March 16. Well, if you lived in Minnesota, say, where I grew up, winter continues until at least April. Complete with snow on the ground, sometimes until mid-April. Only six more weeks always sounded like a pretty good deal. Here in Illinois, mid-March still sometimes brings snowstorms. Six of one, half a dozen of another. Don’t’cha think we’ve all been “had”?

6 comments:

LutheranChik said...

We are in the midst of a mack-daddy blizzard here in Outer Podunk.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you -- it's a scam!
And it's bitterly out today in Minnesota, in the minus F's for highs.

(Personally, my favorite thing to do to celebrate Groundhog Day is to watch the Bill Murray movie.)

Dash

Radiant Times said...

Forgive my gloating, but we've had temps in the upper 60s all week. I keep wondering when the bubble is going to burst and it's going to get cold again - and then I remember I'm in Southern New Mexico!

Songbird

Anonymous said...

Just live through February and see if it doesn't get better. That's what I do and I live in a temperate zone. Or, so they say...

St.Casserole

Anonymous said...

Just live through February and see if it doesn't get better. That's what I do and I live in a temperate zone. Or, so they say...

St.Casserole

Radiant Times said...

Thanks for the tip about me being mentioned the Chicago Tribune.

Lightning struck twice in the same place and I got my blog mentioned in the Washington Post now!!!....Sheesh! Why me? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/04/11/LI2005041100587.html

Songbird