Sunday, March 06, 2005

The Funeral

Yesterday was Michael Lefkow’s funeral. News coverage has been extensive: Chicago Sun-Times; Chicago Tribune here and here; and Channel 2 news. So I don’t need to be another reporter. I saw enough of them yesterday. But the funeral was significant in coming to terms with lessons I’ve learned and with Michael’s and Donna’s horrible deaths. So many layers to one event. Back in a grade-school field trip to the local funeral home, the funeral director told us that funerals were for the living. This one was. I can’t help but hope, however, that somewhere Michael’s essence, his soul, heard and enjoyed every bit of it. It was such a reflection of his life and love. He was so very present in all of us gathered together, even in the people who didn’t particularly like him. That’s a lesson I learned from another extremely painful funeral more than three and a half years ago; when we gather to remember a loved one, we “re-member” that person. Just as the Eucharist is the “re-member-ance” of Christ; we come together as the body of Christ. I especially want to note that the intense security measures allowed us to have the time and space to “re-member” Michael. We were insulated from any would-be attackers and the media frenzy outside, for which I am extremely grateful. The Requiem Eucharist was exactly what it should be: profound worship, and thanksgiving for Michael’s life. The 1979 Book of Common Prayer (BCP) provides a rite for when the body is brought to the church: “Reception of the Body”.
The Celebrant meets the body at the door of the church and says With faith in Jesus Christ, we receive the body of our brother (sister) N. for burial. Let us pray with confidence to God, the Giver of life, that he will raise him to perfection in the company of the saints. Silence may be kept; after which the Celebrant says Deliver your servant, N., O Sovereign Lord Christ, from all evil, and set him free from every bond; that he may rest with all your saints in the eternal habitations; where with the Father and the Holy Spirit you live and reign, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. Let us also pray for all who mourn, that they may cast their care on God, and know the consolation of his love. Silence may be kept; after which the Celebrant says Almighty God, look with pity upon the sorrows of your servants for whom we pray. Remember them, Lord, in your mercy; nourish them with patience; comfort them with a sense of your goodness; lift up your countenance upon them; and give them peace through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
In all the funerals I’ve been at in that church, this was the first time I’d experienced that rite. Over in a flash, but gripping. We had been rehearsing music for the service, but stopped and faced the West doors when the casket was brought in. I can’t find words to depict how deeply respectful it was, but even the youngest probationers were attentive. Profound stillness allowed the simple acts of arrival and reception to be grace-filled. The readings were not from the ones appointed by the BCP for burial, but were so very appropriate: The Old Testament lesson was Ruth 1:6-18, which ends with the “Entreat me not to leave thee” text, often sung at weddings. Considering Michael’s and Joan’s marriage, it was fitting. The New Testament lesson was from Romans 8, “Who will separate us from the love of Christ?... As it is written, ‘For your sake we are being killed all day long; we are accounted as sheep to be slaughtered.’… For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” The Gospel, chosen by the daughters, was Luke 18:1-8, the parable of the Widow and the Unjust Judge. Jackie Schmitt, close friend of the family and Episcopal chaplain at Harvard, preached the sermon, and it is among the best sermons I have ever heard. I don’t think I can possibly do it any justice in a summary, though the various news sources I listed above contain some very good quotes from it. The audio is available, however, from St. Luke’s website, which is better, anyway, as it was an aural event (for anybody with dial-up connection: it’s a huge file). Thanks to Jackie’s sermon, I finally understand the parable of the Widow and the Unjust Judge (in the past, preachers have tried to pack God into the role of the Unjust Judge—corrupt, lazy, sloppy?). But now I also finally have a way to explain some experiences. I’ve known that bearing witness to the truth can be quite dangerous, though I’ve never before known someone personally who has lost his or her life because of it. I’ve certainly seen character assassination and personal attacks on both Michael and Joan because of their witness to the truth. And I’ve seen how they remained unbowed, anyway. From them and others like them whom I’ve known at St. Luke’s, I’ve learned how to bear witness, without apology, in the face of those who are threatened by the truth. I have more reflections on the funeral, but those belong to other layers, and so, may be addressed in a future post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your links, and articles on other web sites, in Newsweek, and listening to articles on NPR. I'm glad to hear the praises of such a wonderful and beloved person as Michael. You are blessed indeed to have had such a marvelous friend.

At the moment, I am struck most by how easy my life is because I am so shielded from fearful things. I do not live with violence in my life. I am not a person distorted by sickening hatred or obsessed with destructive tendencies. It is hard for me to imagine what kind of a life can have generated such evil. There is nothing in my life that even teaches me how to respond to such horrors. I trust the police to do that for me. I haven't got a clue.

There is hard work for you here, because this evil was done to someone you know and love, and I imagine you are confronted starkly by a sense of powerlessness. I would think that prayer is all you have at some point.

During the 80's I worked for a human rights, religious-based non-profit. We worked to educate people on racism, militarism, oppression, injustice. Once focus was on El Salvador. A friend of mine, who had lived in central America, reminded me that, had my non-profit been doing the exact same work in El Salvador, I would have been marked for death. And all I did was office work for this non-profit. I wasn't even a teacher or director. Wouldn't matter, she said. Work for any group that tried to stand up for justice, and you would have been walking this earth on borrowed time.

I never fully felt the impact of her words. I was young. I lived in America. That kind of evil was happening in another part of the world, and I was in no danger.

The Lefkows have experienced a very different America than I can even imagine. The fact that it exists in my own city, maybe only a few miles from me, maybe even only a few doors down from mine, is still incomprehensible to me. My prayers for you and for peace and comfort seem naive and ridiculously uninformed. But I offer them anyway. They are all I have at this point.