Saturday, January 13, 2007

My American Accent

Thanks to Lutheran Chik, I had to check this out (mostly because for more than 20 years I've heard numerous remarks about my "accent"). My results:
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Midland
North Central
The West
The Northeast
Philadelphia
Boston
The South
http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have">What American accent do you have?
http://www.gotoquiz.com/">Quiz Created on GoToQuiz
And, well, it's accurate. I grew up not drinking pop (not because of what it was called but because my parents wouldn't permit it). I was born and grew up in Minnesota. But, unlike a commenter (Anonymous) on LC's blog, I think most of the accents in "Fargo" were exaggerated (for comic effect, obviously). Still, I got the point and I love the movie. Having lived in Chicago for more than half my life (while spending a couple of years in Texas), I know my accent has been moderated considerably, though I can relapse notably, sometimes when least expected.

No comments: